Roasted Red Cabbage
- 1/2 red cabbage, finely shredded (core removed)
- 1 onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- A bit of freshly grated ginger (optional)
- 1 tbsp sugar (demerara works nicely here)
- 100ml red wine or 75ml balsamic vinegar
- A splash of olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- A bit of fresh rosemary, to finish
Step by step
Mix all the ingredients together. Tumble into a heavy-based pot over medium heat. Simmer with the lid on for about 1 hr.
Stir from time to time; top up with water or wine, if necessary, to make sure it doesn’t dry out on the bottom of the pot.
It’s ready when it releases its natural sugars and is nice and tender.
Season to taste. Finish with a scattering of fresh rosemary, if you like.
Once cool, the cabbage can be kept in fridge and reheated. It can also be frozen.
Preperation Time 15 mins (prep) | 1 1/2 hrs (cooking)
It will feed around 6 people This recipe will also freeze well once cooled to be used for another day if too much for one sitting.