Today, I thought I would share a cake recipe which I baked, it is really easy to make and just the thing to add to the Christmas Tea Table.. This recipe I took from my Mary Berry’s Complete Cook Book .. I want to also take this opportunity in wishing you all a very Merry Christmas.. And I thank each and everyone of your who have supported Dreamwalker’s Garden since I set it up.. Have a wonderful HOLIDAY.. and I will see you in the NEW YEAR…
Love Sue xxx
150g ( 5oz) Butter, at room temperature, plus extra for greasing
150g (5oz) Light Muscovada Sugar
250g ( 8oz) Plain Flour
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
175g (6oz) Sultana’s
90g (3oz) Raisins
90g (3oz) Currents
60g (2oz) glace-cherries, quartered rinsed and dried
60g (2oz) chopped mixed peel
3 tablespoons of ground Almonds
Grated zest of one large Lemon
60g (2oz) Whole Almonds, blanched and halved to decorate
A Deep 20cm, (8inch) round loose-bottomed cake tin, and grease proof paper.
- Lightly butter the cake tin and line the bottom with grease-proof [ I also lined the sides]
- Combine the butter, sugar, eggs, flour and baking powder in a large bowl and beat for 2 minutes.. [ I used a hand held electric whisk] or until well blended. Stir in the fruit, mixed peel and ground Almonds and Lemon Zest.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin, level the surface and arrange the halved Almonds neatly into concentric circles on top
- Bake in a preheated oven at 160*C (140*C Fan oven ) Gas Mark 3 for approximately 1 ½ hours or until well risen, golden and firm to touch. A fine skewer inserted into the middle of the cake should come out clean. Cover the cake with foil half way through baking if it is browning too quickly.
- Leave the cake to cool in the tin for a few minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely. Store in an airtight container for about 1 week before eating..